Hallowe'en is a fabric hoarders rationalizing season

October is definitely one of my favourite months. I'm not that keen on the whole pumpkin spice everything, but I do love Hallowe'en and Hallowe'en costumes.

When learning to sew for ourselves in my family we got let loose on Hallowe'en costumes as our first independent projects. If you sew the front to the back of your dress while learning to put in a zipper, your costume won't show the stitch ripper marks.

Anyway, my story today is about excess fabric...or was it excess?

This year, I will be away for Hallowe'en, which means I don't need a costume. I used my trusty internet skills and offered my creative and costume making skills to my local community.

I managed to repair (as a donation) a couple costume dresses for a local haunted house that donates its proceeds to charity.

I also got a request to make a Dopey the Dwarf costume based on the Disney animated version of Snow White. To keep costs low I started to suggest finding a robe at a thrift store and modifying it. My client was hopeful we could make a piece from scratch affordably.

Since I have been organizing my fabric I could see that I had a nice sized piece of green jersey. After reviewing inspiration photos with the client, it was decided a floor length robe would be ideal. Therefore I needed an even bigger piece of green jersey, which I also had. I'm not entirely sure why this larger piece of green jersey survived my recent donation and stash reduction purges but now I'm glad it did.


This is pretty much how I feel about my fabric stash every Hallowe'en, there is often something useful or perfect for a costume idea in there. This hopefully won't be a stumbling block in my newfound ambition to reduce my fabric collection.

The good news is this large piece of fabric will be used to create a great Hallowe'en costume that I will get paid to make and it will not be in my house anymore.

Hopefully, I will have photos of the whole completed look to share in the future.

I think next year I will offer my costume services again. This has been quite fun=)

Unrelated but planning on adding to future posts...Progress report and finished items:

3 new furniture pieces in my house and 3 old furniture pieces out of the house.
2 almost finished crochet owls found in the furniture swap process are now finished
4 zippered pouches of various sizes
1 yoga mat bag
1 hoody zipper replaced
2 costumes altered as a volunteer project
1 bag of items ready to donate

Still working on: 
adding a drawstring to some athletic pants I have
getting the fabric sorted off my floor and into my new furniture
online sales listings for eBay and Etsy
keeping up with my daily sewing/making routine


Comments