Project Stalled

I saw a facebook meme a few months ago that really spoke to me about how sewing and crafting projects can take a while to complete.

"We just checked....and it turns out it is perfectly normal to have several ongoing crafting projects. In fact the average number of projects in progress is 18 and the average time of completion is 27 years. So if you are coming in under that you're good!" no credit on this one, I didn't even screenshot it. 

Just before Hallowe'en 2019 I did a major work for hire project of 6 floor lenth hooded cloaks. That job might actually be a personal best for a project from new fabric in the house to completed and delivered product. I still have to get my 2 pairs of sewing scissors sharpened after torturing them with 20 metres of polar fleece.

Anyway, I had a cloak pattern already, because I have some vintage fabric in my collection (hoard?) that I thought would make a great cloak. The vintage fabric had been cut for sewing for years and I found a fabric for lining my cloak, but hadn't cut it yet. I figured with this giant paid project to motivate me, I would power through and complete this cloak that has been a project for ages.

Somewhere along the way while sewing, I decided this cloak should have pockets. Pockets are the best part about sewing your own stuff, although I will likely sell this when it is completed. My pattern does not include a pocket option, so I need to design my own.

Drafting pockets for this cloak will actually be very straight forward since, I plan to add a finished rectangle on each side around hip height. However, my cloak and lining have been sitting on my dress form since October 2019, without pockets. I think I'm looking at about an hour of work to complete this project but I keep finding other things to do when I sit at my sewing machine.

I have noticed that I seem to stall out on projects this way fairly often. I have a pair of crochet slippers that need some embroidery and they have been sitting for a couple years, with the raw materials available to complete them, but no movement. A jersey dress that the pieces have been cut out for so long I seem to have misplaced the directions that explain the dots and squares and how the pattern maker thought I would sew it together.

The slow progression through my making space of sorting and donating seems to be bringing more of these almost completed or just barely started projects to light and shining a light on my procrastination and varied sewing and crafting interests.

I might have to do some research to see what theories people have about this motivation stall for completing things without and outside influence or deadline.

Progress report and Finished Projects:
Housecoat/bathrobe as a gift
Housecoat pocket repair
ripped shorts repair
waistband elastic replace in 2 pairs of pants
hemmed 1 dress, 1 pair of pants

Still working on:
drafting pockets for floor length cloak
removing one sewing table from making space, repainting it and selling it
get back to working at maker space improvements
half finished zippered pouch needs finishing
setting a date and time for a photo shoot for product photos for etsy shop

Comments