Duping an Amazon product for an 8 year old and her Mom

 As a sewer or crafter I'm sure you have received emails texts or pictures from friends with "Hey, can we make this?" This time, I was intrigued.

I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions, but I was having a hankering to get back into making things. As you can see from my website, I have not been documenting much. That cloak still requires pockets...

Anyway, it wasn't cost that was stopping the purchase on Amazon, it was the smallness of sizes available and the reviews leading my friends to believe the fabric choices were not as snuggly as hoped. 

I definitely have a protege fabric hoarder in the making, and truly enjoyed introducing an 8 year old to her first fabric store trip. With fabric choices and materials in hand ($75 CAD) we headed home to paper pattern and cut out the pieces. This commision was for a piece of furniture that we weren't sure when it would arrive, so I was given permission to procrastinate on finishing the project. Until the next day and we remembered 8 year olds can watch 5 minute craft videos and progress reports were requested. 

Luckily, I know myself and was trying to complete the project while it was still new and fun. So I could send an update.


In total 3 weeks for this project, from start to finish and really only 7 hours of sewing, cutting, sourcing materials in my stash. This was a pillow cover (removablel with a zipper for easy washing) and, because the finished length of this body pillow is 5' (xx cm) I got to make and stuff a custom pillow form too. Most of the sewing was completed while being social, so I'm sure I could have completed it faster. 

Pillow form was a boring update photo.


Finally, the inspiration photo and my dupe which is loved and snuggly and my time will be compensated with cookies =) Hopefully, lots of cookies.






Progress report and Finished Projects:

Cat body pillow and insert
Hemmed many pairs of pants
replaced several zippers on hoodies and light jackets
several old towels converted to cleaning rags
All 6 boat cushions completed and a few more in addition over the last 3 years


Still working on:
drafting pockets for floor length cloak
get back to working at maker space improvements
half finished zippered pouch needs finishing
setting a date and time for a photo shoot for product photos for etsy shop

Comments