Random Acts of Valentine

I'm not really much of a Valentine's kinda girl. Currently I'm single, but even when seeing someone it's a weird holiday. Congratulations Mr. Valentine on your sainthood and the loss of your head. Please allow me to lavish my "love" with bon-bons and sappy/funny/strange greeting cards in your honour. I hope that whoever I am next dating will make me feel special and loved without prompting by the calendar.

However, I do like the idea of Random Acts of Kindness, and making people smile. This has led to the creation of Random Acts of Valentine. You can find them on Facebook. Maybe you will even find one around town. This year I'm starting local (Victoria, BC). Next year THE WORLD.

These unique little stuffies are made from leftover yarn and love. I had help from A my random assistant. You can buy her hand made items at her Etsy shop.

There is a total of 15 Random Valentines out there and you can follow their stories on Facebook.

This pic is 007 with a license to LURVE

My main "love hearts" started with a free pattern for Christmas ornaments from Red Heart Yarn.


Love Hearts inspiration
Then, because I wanted little creatures, I added extremities as below. 
Instead of fastening off the 2nd heart I ss in next 6 st.
With wrong sides together ss together in next 23 sc spaces.
Ch 13. 3 hdc in 2nd ch from hook. For curly extremities sc in each ch back to heart (For straight extremities ss in each ch back to heart).
ss two hearts together in next 11 sc spaces.
Ch 17, 3 treble crochet (tc) in 2nd ch from hook. Sc or ss in each ch back to heart.
Ss in ch 2 space, ss,
Ch 17, 3 tc in 2nd ch from hook. Sc or ss in each ch back to heart.
Ss two hearts together in next 10 sc.
Ch 13. 3 hdc in 2nd ch from hook Sc or ss in each ch back to heart.
Fasten off leaving a tail for final stitching. this should leave a hole for stuffing.After you've stuffed you creation using the tail and a yarn needle stitch the opening closed. Embroider or glue eye or eyes on and you are done.

knitted hearts
A, my random assistant, prefers knitting to crochet so she made a few from this pattern.


Love Bug inspiration
I have trouble in my area finding "safety eyes" so I tend to embroider or crochet and sew on eyes.
Eyes (make 2)- Ch 2, 4-6 sc in 2nd ch from hook, fasten off.
I love pipe cleaners but wanted a more child friendly version as well. So these are my new antennae.
Antennae (make 2) - Ch 8, 3 sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in each remaining chain, fasten off leaving a tail to attach to head.


Anatomically correct heart
This Random Act of Valentine is mine. Yup. It didn't travel far. I heard about this pattern and really liked the idea of it so A (my random assistant) made it for me.

I hope your Valentines is everything you want it to be. Send someone some love all year =)


Comments