WTF Friday - apparently, I'm doing it wrong

I've been sewing a lot lately, which has included a few shopping trips for re-supply. There has been paying sewing work in the last little while too.

With that I went to buy some new thread at one of my favourite sewing shops in town. I've always liked buying my thread there because they carry a great selection of colours and shades of high quality, high volume thread. Strangely, I have no idea the brand name.

Anyway, I wandered into the store and one of the sales ladies quite helpfully offered assistance. I mentioned I was just in for a new colour of thread and went straight to the large spools.
"That's Serger thread" She told me.
Of course it is, I picked up 4 spools because it is for an overlock sewing project. However, it's never occurred to me before that there is a difference. I use large spools of thread for almost all of my sewing, in all of my sewing machines. Black and white especially make sense to have in large volume.

I only buy small amounts of thread for single projects. If I have a particular shade or print of fabric I will pick up a coordinating small spool of thread and then if I have seams to overlock I will use that thread at my needle(s) and a neutral for my loopers.



My next question was about heavier cotton threads that I want to experiment with in my standard sewing machine. She steered me away from them telling me they will mess with my tensions. I always thought I was supposed "mess" with my tensions to match my thread and fabric choices. I dunno, I guess I've been doing it wrong.

Do you sew? Can you think of a reason not to use your large spools of "serger" thread in your standard machine?

Comments